Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Emma's Birth Story

Emma had her birthday party over the weekend but today is her actual birthday.

Emma was due on January 10th, my midwife joked that maybe she would come early and we would get a 2000 New Years baby. Yeh right.
On January 24th I went to my regular appt. and told them that I could NOT carry around a two week old baby for one more day. My doc took pity on me and sent me over to the hospital. By 11:00 am I was hooked up to pitocin and on my way to being in labor. If I had known how long and hard contractions were with "the pit" I would have kept carrying around my two week old. By dinner time I was asking for drugs. They gave me an epidural, which never started working. By the time they realized the epidural catheter had come out and made plans to give me another one it was too late. I went from five centimeters to ten in 1 hr.
Emma Leann was born at 1:47 a.m., weighing 7lbs 6oz.
She came so fast that the doctor never got her gloves on, she covered her hands with her scrubs and caught Emma seconds before she would have ended up on the floor. Emma's entire face was bruised from the pressure of the quick entrance.
The thing I remember most is how amazed I was at how beautiful she was. I couldn't stop crying. I kept telling everyone in the room to "look at her, look how beautiful she is, look just look, can you believe how pretty she is".
 And she was. And she still is. And I can't believe how lucky I am to get to be her mama.

(And I'm really glad that she loves crab so that we get to have crab legs on her birthday.) Thanks baby

Things we love about Emma:

She has the biggest, prettiest eyes ever.
She is really sweet to Rosie and lets her play with her stuff.
She has a great witty sense of humor.
She makes charming miniature drawings.
She is very crafty, she makes awesome clay art and cool paintings.
She is really, really good at puzzles.
She loves to read.
She is talented at building with things like k.nex.

Nicknames we have for Emma:
Emmaboo
Miss Em
Emma jean
Emily ann
M
Boobaby


.

No comments:

Post a Comment